Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Boys by Garth Ennis

Latest PROPAGANDA review over at FPI weblog is online.

As far as I’m concerned this is Garth Ennis’ big comeback – he’s either coasting (if you’re being charitable) or lacking ideas since coming up with Preacher over 12 years ago now. Everything he’s done in the intervening years has been either a Preacher clone (Punisher?) or pretty crap (Wormwood?). I’m beginning to think that even Ennis was starting to believe this, as he was often quoted as saying that “The Boys will out-Preacher Preacher”. The Boys, I’m really pleased to be able to tell you, is the first really decent thing I think that he’s written since Preacher. I know a lot of you will point to the excessive comedic violence, the crudity, the sick jokes and the abundance of bodily fluids and claim it’s yet another Preacher rip-off. But even if it is a Preacher clone, it’s the best bloody Preacher clone anyone’s come up with since, well, Preacher.

No comments: